Elegant Chicken Lasagna
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 boneless, skinless split chicken breasts (about 3 lbs) cut into bite-swize pieces
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup crumbled Stilton or bleu cheese
- 2 Tbsp dry white wine
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- 2 cup (8 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb provolone cheese, grated
- 1-16 ounce packaghe lasagna noodles, cooked al dente
- 3 large, firm, ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, or 2 tsp dried basil
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 13X9 inch baking pan and set aside.
Heat oil in skillet and saute chicken 5 minutes or until no longer pink inside. If necessary, cook in several batches. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
Melt butter in medium-size saucepan over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add milk slowly off heat, stirring constantly. Return to heat and cook, sytirring until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in Stilton, cheese, wine, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese has melted. Set aside.
Place Muenster, Cheddar, and provolone cheese in bowl and stir to mix well. Set aside.
To assemble lasagna, place 1/4 reserved sauce in even layer in prepared baking pan. Top with 1/3 of noodles and cover with 1/3 remaining sauce. Spread half of reserved chicken and half of tomatoes, mushrooms, and chopped basil over sauce. Top with 1/2 remaining cheese and finish with remaining noodles, 1/2 of remaining sauce, and remaining chicken, tomatoes, mushrooms, and chopped basil. Top with 1/2 remaining cheese and finish with remaining noodles, sauce, and cheese. Bake in center of preheated oven 50 minutes to 1 hour or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil leaves if desired.