MEXICAN TORTILLA AND LIME SOUP
A rotisserie chicken makes this easy, or use any leftover cooked chicken. You can make the soup and crisp the tortillas ahead of time; store separately in covered containers. Recipe adapted from Latin & Carribbean Stores Demystified, by Linda Bladholm. Serves 4-6.
- 2 oat bran or whole wheat tortillas
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 canned chipotle chili in adobo, plus 1/2 tsp adobo sauce
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded (I used rotisserie chicken from the market)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock (homemade or low-sodium canned)
- Juice of 2 limes, plus the rinds (4 halves of squeezed lime)
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- Chopped garnishes: red onion, avocado, radishes, queso fresco (or crumbled feta cheese), cilantro (some or all, optional
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Slice tortillas into thin matchsticks, 2-3 inches long, and spread on a cookie sheet. Leave out on the countertop to get a bit stale, for 30-60 minutes, while you prepare the soup.
In a small food processor or with a mortar and pestle, puree the garlic and chipotle, and set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Sauté onion until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic-chili puree, and stir 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp adobo sauce, stock, lime juice, lime halves, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Add shredded chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Remove lime rinds. Set soup aside, covered.
Bake the tortilla strips for 10 minutes, or until crisp and browned. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and garnish with a few tortilla strips. Pass bowls of garnishes for each person to add, to taste
You'll also love
- Corned Beef Hash 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rice with Octopus (Arroz com Polvo) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- No-Cream Asparagus Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple Cobbler (Clyde Tite) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rasberry Bars 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broiled Salmon in three citrus... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cilantro-Lime Dressing 0/5 (0 Votes)