- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract or grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablesppons butter, soften
- 2 tablesppons orange juice
- 1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract or grated lemon peel
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening with sugar. Add whole eggs, one at a time and beat. Add orange juice and extract or peel. Mix soda, flour and salt and add, alternating the dry ingredients with buttermilk. Bake in a greased and floured tube pan 1 hour. Allow cake to stand in pan for at least 5 minutes before turning out onto cake plate. Glaze while still warm.
Glaze: Belnd butter, orange juice, powdered sugar and extract or lemon peel. Spread on warm cake.