Savory Tomato and Pepper Olive Chicken
Featuring one of my favorite ingredients...the tomato!
- For the sauce:
- 4 large chicken thighs (boneless skinless)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp crushed garlic (or 1 smashed clove)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch red pepper
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup plain tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup blend fontina/asiago/parmesan cheese
- 1 cup bell pepper
- 1/4 cup pimento stuffed green olives, sliced into thirds
- 1 whole white onion, caramelized
Start off by preparing the sauce. Combine the tomato sauce with the basil, parsley, oregano, garlic, red and black pepper, sugar, cheese, green olives, and bell pepper. Set aside.
In a cast iron skillet, caramelize the onion. Remove the onion and set aside. Add the chicken thighs to the cast iron skillet. Sprinkle both sides with some salt, black pepper, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder and onion powder. Cover with the sauce.
Bake chicken at 350 covered with the lid of the cast iron skillet for about 30 minuts. Then back uncovered for another 10-15 minutes, until the sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through.