Portuguese bread French toast casserole
- Macadamia Nut Topping:
- 1 loaf of Portuguese sweet bread (or substitute Hawaiian bread)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped candied macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup coconut pancake syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Fruity or coconut syrup for topping if desired.
Adapted from bing.com
Slice sweet bread into about 20 slices, 1" thick. Liberally spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray and arrange bread slices in 2 rows overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended (but not too bubbly). Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure they're evenly covered (get the mixture in between the slices with a spoon). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, preheat oven to 350º F. Combine all the ingredients for the topping and spread evenly over the top of the bread. Bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden.
Serve with coconut pancake syrup (I use homemade pear or blackberry)But most of us didn't use the syrup at all!).