Vegan - Easy BBQ Tofu
- 1 package organic firm tofu (I love Sol Organic Firm Tofu)
- 1 tbsp high heat safe oil (such as grapeseed or coconut oil)
- Herbamare/sea salt and pepper, for seasoning
- Garlic powder, for seasoning
- 1/4 cup of your favourite BBQ sauce, plus more for serving if desired
Adapted from ohsheglows.com
1. Press tofu for at least 30-45 minutes, or if you are able, overnight in a tofu press. (Tofu Xpress is a brand of press)
2. Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Slice tofu into about 32 rectangles (or as many as you desire).
3. Add 1 tbsp of oil to the skillet and then carefully add the tofu. Be careful as the oil can splatter. Spread tofu out into a single layer, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and fry for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. (Tediously) flip each piece of tofu (a couple forks works for me) and fry for another 5-6 minutes, or until golden all over and charred in some spots. I like to cook it until it’s nice and crisp.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the BBQ sauce to coat the tofu. Serve immediately with more sauce on the side if desired.