Limoncello: An Italian Digestif
- 10 Lemons
- 750 ml Vodka or Grain Alcohol
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups Sugar
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 32767mins
Adapted from chefjoshuaalan.com
1. Wash lemons and pat them dry.
2. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skin off the lemons.
3. With a pairing knife, carefully remove as much white pith from the skins.
4. In a large clean bowl, place lemon peels and vodka.
5. Cover and leave at room temperature for 2 weeks.
6. Once two weeks has passed, place sugar and water in a pot over medium heat.
7. Heat and stir until sugar has dissolved.
8. Cool syrup, then pour over vodka and lemon peels. Let it sit at room temperature over night.
9. Remove lemon peels (Don't discard, see below!) and place limoncello in clean bottles. Be sure to insert a few peels into each bottle.
10. Chill, then enjoy! Serve as an aperitif before a meal or digestif after a meal!