Le Macaron Royal - Vanilla Bean Macaron Shell
This recipe was created for the royal wedding of 2011, top with crème chantilly and berries to finish!
- 190 grams Ground Almonds
- 150 grams Egg Whites (Aged)*
- 310 grams Powdered Sugar
- 90 grams Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from chefjoshuaalan.com
1. Sift the powdered sugar and almonds.
2. Stir well.
3. In a clean bowl, begin whipping up egg whites.
4. Split vanilla bean and scrape out seeds.
5. Place seeds into mixture and whip until stiff peaks form.
6. Add sugar in 3 batches, continue whipping.
7. Whip until stiff peaks form again.
8. Add egg whites to dry ingredients.
9. Fold in egg whites.
10. Using a pastry scraper, do la macaronnage: scrape the batter back and form against the bowl to remove air bubbles.
11. Your better should ribbon off the scraper as so.
12. Place in a pastry bag with a simple rounded tip.
13. Pipe out circles, leave the bag in one spot and squeeze.
14. Let them rest for at least 45 minutes or until a crust has formed.
15. Bake for 10-12 minutes at EXACTLY 150C/ 300F. Do not open the oven during cooking.
16. Remove from oven and let cool.