Grammie's Polish apricot bread
- 3 ounces room-temperature butter
- 4 ounces room-temperature cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large room-temperature beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup peeled and mashed fresh apricots or 1 (15-ounce) can drained apricots puréed in a food processor or blender
- 1 1/2 generous cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
Adapted from easteuropeanfood.about.com
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and mix well. Add the apricots and mix thoroughly.
2.In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add this flour mixture to the apricot mixture and combine thoroughly. Mix in the pecans.
3.Lightly coat the 8x4-inch pan with cooking spray. Transfer batter to the pan, smooth the top and bake 50-60 minutes. Begin toothpick testing at 45 minutes. Transfer baked loaf pan to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes. Then invert the cake onto the rack, turn cake right side up and cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.