Handmade Chocolate-Hazelnut Ice Cream
- 8 Egg Yolks
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Hazelnut Purée (Grind your own in a spice grinder if you don't have any)
- 70 g/2.5 oz Dark Chocolate
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 270mins
Adapted from chefjoshuaalan.com
1. In a clean bowl, place your sugar and egg yolks.
2. Cream together until lightened.
3. Over medium heat, place your cream, milk, chocolate, and hazelnut purée into a pot.
4. Bring to boil, then remove from heat.
5. Little by little, add the cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly.
6. Place mixture into the pot over medium heat, stir constantly.
7. Keep heating until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and not run.
8. Place mixture in a temperature-proof container and place in the fridge for about an hour.
9. Place mixture in the freezer.
Note: This is where the actual works comes in to play. Ice crystals will start to form, it's your job to keep breaking those up using step 10! This is what an ice cream maker does, but it's cheaper and just as easy to do it yourself!
10. Every 30 minutes for about 3 hours, stir the mixture well. Be sure to scrape the sides! Once done, let ice cream set until needed! That's it!