Biscuit Breton: French Shortbread Cookies
Look at those beautiful cookies! Oh, how I wish I could reach through this screen and grab one! They rich, but not too heavy! A great cookie any time of the year!
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar (125 g)
- 1 cup Butter (Room temp) (230 g)
- 3 cups Flour (370 g)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Water + 1 Egg Yolk
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from chefjoshuaalan.com
1. In a clean bowl, place 3 egg yolks, the butter, and the sugar.
2. Mix until fluffy.
3. Add in flour and salt, mix well.
4. Turn dough out onto floured surface and form into a ball. Add water, if needed.
5. Wrap dough in parchment paper or plastic wrap, than place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Roll dough out to approximately 1/6"/ 4 mm thick.
7. Using a cookie cutter, preferable a fluted one, cut the dough and place on a baking sheet.
8. Mix water and egg yolk, then brush each cookie with the mixture.
9. Using a fork, drag the tips across the top of the cookies, making a criss-cross pattern.
10. Bake at 350F/180C for 10-12 minutes.