Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts
- 4 6 to 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp kosher salt or 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 recipe lemon chive pan sauce
- Lemon and Chive Pan Sauce
- 1 minced shallot (about 3 tbsp)
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chives minced
- 1 tbsp butter chilled
1. Put oven rack to lower middle position and heat to 275 degrees. Use a fork to poke the thickest half of each breast 5 to 6 times then sprinkle each breast w/ 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Place the chicken skinned side down in a 13x9 baking dish and cover tightly w/ foil. Bake until it registers 145 to 150 degrees, 30 to 40 minutes.
2. Transfer chicken to a paper towel lined plate and pat dry. Heat the oil in a 12" skillet until smoking over medium high heat. While the pan is heating whisk the butter, flour, cornstarch and pepper in a small bowl. Lightly brush tops of the chicken with half the butter mixture. Place the chicken in the skillet, coated side down and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. While the chicken browns, brush the second side with the remaining butter mixture. Flip the chicken with tongs, reduce heat to medium and cook until the 2nd side is browned and the chicken registers 160 to 165, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and let rest while making the sauce.
1. Add the shallot to the empty pan and cook for 2 minutes until softened over medium heat. Add the flour and cook stirring continuously for 30 seconds. Add the broth, increase the heat to medium high and bring to simmer, scraping bottom of pan to release browned bits.
2. Simmer rapidly until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in any accumulated juices, return to a simmer and cook for 30 seconds. Off heat whisk in the lemon juice, chives and butter. Season with Salt and Pepper. Spoon over the chicken and serve.