- 16 ounces mini marshmallows
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- shortening for greasing the bowl etc.
This method uses a strong stand mixer, like a kitchen-aid, but you can also knead the fondant by hand.
1. Put the marshmallows and water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for about 1 minute, until the marshmallows are all melted. The mixture will expand. Stir to incorporate.
2. Grease the dough hook and bowl of your mixer really well with shortening.
3. Put about 3/4 of the powdered sugar to the mixer bowl and add all of the melted marshmallows.
4. Mix on low speed for a few minutes then check the consistency of the fondant. It will probably still be a little sticky at this point. If it is, add some of the remaining powdered sugar and mix again for a minute or so. repeat this step until the fondant is firm and neither dry or sticky.
5.Turn out on to a clean, firm work surface and knead by hand just for a minute until there are no flecks of dry powdered sugar remaining. Wrap in cling wrap and let the fondant rest for at least 30 minutes before using.