- 3 T unflavored gelatin
- 1 c cold water, divided
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c boiling water
- 2 c sugar
- 1/2 c light corn syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chocolate extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- sweetened ground chocolate
1. Lightly spray a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Lightly dust with cocoa; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water; set aside. In a separate small bowl, combine cocoa and boiling water; set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and remaining 1/2 cup cold water over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cook, without stirring,until a candy thermometer reaches 240 degrees.
4. In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, beat egg whites, vanilla, chocolate extract, and salt on high until stuff peaks form. In a separate bowl, combine gelatin mixture, cocoa mixture, and hot syrup mixture. Beat on the highest speed until mixture is thick and tripled in volume, about 4 minutes. (A hand mixer will NOT work.) Fold in egg white mixture. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with sweetened ground chocolate.
5. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until set. Cut marshmallows using a 2 inch square cutter.
NOTE: These marshmallows are great for making s'mores.