Whole Wheat Goldfish Crackers
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 cups coarsely grated) sharp cheddar, orange if you can find one you like
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces or 57 grams) butter
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces or 62 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (1 1/8 ounces or 31 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- You need a goldfish cookie cutter http://www.coppergifts.com/cookie-cutters/pc/Fish-Cookie-Cutter-mini-tiny-p1947.htm
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in a food processor, running the machine until the dough forms a ball, about two minutes.
If the dough feels warm or worrisome-ly soft, wrap it in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes. This also makes it easier to transfer shapes once they are rolled out.
On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick. Form shapes with a cookie cutter, dipping it in flour from time to time to ensure a clean cut. Gently transfer crackers to an ungreased (though mine were parchment-lined, because they are in despicable shape) cookie sheet with a 1/2 inch between them. Bake the crackers on the middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are barely browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and set the cookie sheet on a rack to cool.