Slow-Cooker Tortilla Soup with Pork & Squash
Rich and hearty, this pork and butternut squash recipes comes together in your slow-cooker for an easy meal that is sure to please your whole family. Serve with fresh lime juice, freshly chopped cilantro, diced avocado, or julienned radishes.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pound boneless pork shoulder or butt, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 small butternut squash, about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Kosher salt to taste
- 4 (6-inch in diameter) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- sliced radishes, cilantro sprigs, and lime wedges, for serving
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 500mins
Adapted from realsimple.com
In a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the pork, squash, tomatoes and their juices, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, 4 cups water, and 1¼ teaspoons salt. Cover and cook until the pork is very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
Fifteen minutes before serving, heat oven to 450° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tortillas with the oil and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Bake, tossing once, until crispy, 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer the pork to a medium bowl and, using 2 forks, shred the meat; return it to the slow cooker. Serve the soup with the tortilla strips, radishes, cilantro, and lime wedges.
You'll also love
- Minestrone Soup 4.3/5 (155 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Autumn Harvest Veggie... 4.5/5 (74 Votes)
- Mom's Vegetable Soup with Ham Bone 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Linda’s Noodle Kugel 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken Black Bean Filling for... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- White Wine & Melon Sangria 0/5 (0 Votes)
- French Onion Salisbury Steak 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Nasturtium, Bacon and Potato Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)