Berry Baked French Toast
- 1 loaf day old French or Italian bread (bakery markdowns are perfect!)
- 4 c. fresh berries (I used a combination of raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and sliced strawberries.)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. almond extract, optional
- 3 oz. cream cheese, cut into small chunks
- 4 T. butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
1. Cut bread into slightly bigger than bite-sized cubes.
2. Place a layer of bread cubes into a greased 13×9 casserole dish. Top with 3 cups of the berries.
3. Add remaining bread cubes to the casserole dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and extract(s). Evenly pour over all the bread cubes. Top with remaining berries and dot with the cream cheese cubes. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours.
4. Remove casserole dish from the refrigerator while preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Also while preheating, melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir until melted and smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in cinnamon. Drizzle over the entire top of the casserole.
5. Cover dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 35-45, until golden brown and eggs are set. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
This made an awesome dinner, but it would definitely be a welcome and impressive addition to any breakfast or brunch.