CLASSIC CORNER GERMAN MEATLOAF
- 2 cups soft unseeded rye bread crumbs
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or chili sauce
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13-by-9-inch pan with foil. Insert a rack.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the meat. Mix well. Add the meat and mix thoroughly.
Pat into a thick flat loaf about 10 inches long. Place on rack in prepared pan.
Bake 1/4 hours or until nicely browned. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.