French Apple Turnovers
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet apple such as gala or honey crisp, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 sheet puffed pastry from a 17.3 oz box, thawed over night and cut into 4 equal rectangles
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425.
2. Melt the butter in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add the apple slices and cook stirring often over medium heat. Sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar, the cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt over the apples, cook, stirring often for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg with 2tbsp water. Lightly brush the edges of each pastry rectangle with some of the egg wash. Spread the cooked apples and juice over half the long side of the rectangle but not over the egg wash border. Fold the pastry half w/o apples ove the side with the apples, long side to long side. Press to seal the edges and transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet.
4. Brush the tops with some of the remaining egg wash and sprinkle each with 1/4 tsp of the remaining sugar.
5. Bake until puffed and golden about 16 minutes. Serve warm.