Spiced Lamb Chops (Bon Appetit)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 small dried chilies (such as chilies de arbol), stemmed
- 2 t. fennel seeds
- 1 t. cumin seeds
- 1/4 t. whole black peppercorns
- 1/3 cup whole-milk plain yogurt
- W t. finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 8 lamb rib chops (each about 1 inch thick), excess fat trimmed
- Pickled Ted Onions
- Fresh mint springs for garnish
Combine first 5 ingredients in small skillet. Stir over medium heat until spices are aromatic and slightly darker in color, about 3 minutes. Transfer spices to bowl and cool. Grind spices to coarse powder in spice mill. Combine spices, yogurt and ginger in11x7x2 inch glass baking dish. Add lamb chops and turn to cat with mixture. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
Preheat broiler. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Arrange chops on baking sheet. Broil lamb to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer 2 lamb chops to each of 4 plates. Spoon Pickled Red Onions alongside each; garnish with mint springs.