Popeye's Red Beans & Rice
Red Beans and Rice is the perfect side dish for a cajun-style meal. This recipe will quickly become one of your favorites.
- bacon grease from frying 3 to 4 pieces, bacon
- 2 (15-ounce) cans red beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 (1/2 stick) cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Uncle Ben's converted rice
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Fry 3 to 4 slices of bacon. Add bacon grease to red beans plus liquid in a medium saucepan. Add water, brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Use a potato masher to smash some of the beans (about 1/4 of the beans) into a paste-like consistency.
Add water, butter and salt to saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in1 cup rice, cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Place 1 cup of beans into a bowl. Add 1 cup of rice on top of the beans and serve.
You'll also love
- Olive Garden Salad Dressing 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Rustic Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake... 4.3/5 (48 Votes)
- Doritos Taco Salad 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Chocolate Cherry Stack Cake 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- HCG Diet (P3) Ranch Dressing 2 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Lentil Soup - Vegetarian 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Pan Roasted Maple Dijon Chicken... 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- Boston Baked Beans 4.4/5 (30 Votes)