Caramelized Apple Pecan Coffee Cake
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Cinnamon Streusel
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Apple Filling and Topping
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 3/8" dice
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out
- Coffee Cake Batter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 115mins
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a 9" round baking pan and set aside.
3. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the light brown sugar and cinnamon.
5. Stir in the butter until well combined and mix in half the pecans. Set aside.
Apple Filling and Topping
6. In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, cook sugar over moderately low heat.
7. Without stirring, shake the pan to melt sugar evenly, until melted and dark golden.
8. Remove saucepan from heat and carefully add apples and vanilla bean pod and seeds (mixture will vigorously steam and caramel will harden).
9. Cook mixture over moderate heat, shaking pan and stirring occasionally, until caramel is dissolved, liquid has evaporated and apples are tender but still hold their shape, about 10 to 15 minutes.
10. Discard vanilla bean pod.
11. Spread the apples on a sheet pan to cool.
Coffee Cake Batter
12. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves.
13. In another medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, applesauce, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg and butter until smooth.
14. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and with a large spatula, mix well until combined.
15. Fold in half the cooled apple filling and the remaining pecans and pour into prepared pan.
16. Sprinkle with half the streusel and top with the remaining apple filling.
17. Sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
18. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes.
19. Let cool 20 minutes and cut into eight wedges.
20. Server warm or at room temperature.