Buffalo Chicken Quiche
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- One Third cup very cold water
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 T. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 1/2 T. unsalted butter, very cold and cut into small cubes
- One Third cup plus 1 T. hot sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 1/2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (bite-size pieces)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thinly on the bias
- One Third cup crumbled blue cheese (about 1 1/2 oz)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Kosher salt
Preparation time 30mins
Adapted from mission-food.com
Start by making the crust. In a small bowl add the salt to the water and stir to dissolve. Keep cold in the refrigerator.
In a food processor, put the flour in the work bowl and add the small butter cubes, scattering all over. Pulse briefly until the mixture forms large crumbs and some of the butter is still the size of peas. Add the water-salt mixture and pulse for several seconds until the dough begins to come together in a ball. You should still be able to see some butter chunks.
On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a disk 1 inch thick. Wrap well in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or up to overnight (this dough can now be frozen in a freezer bag and then defrosted in the refrigerator the day before it is to be used).
Place the chilled dough on a floured surface and roll out 1/8 inch thick, lifting and rotating the dough to make sure it doesn't stick, and working quickly to ensure the dough stays as cold as possible. Add more flour to the board as needed.
Roll the dough circle gently over the rolling pin and then gently unroll the circle over the pie dish, easing it into the bottom and sides, and pressing gently into place. Avoid stretching the dough, as it will shrink back when baking. Trim the dough edges with a sharp knife and flute or crimp the edges if you prefer.
Chill the crust 30 minutes to an hour in the fridge before assembling and baking. This ensures the flakiest crust.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Add the hot sauce and butter to a small saucepan over medium heat and stir/swirl until the butter melts and dissolves into the sauce. Remove from the heat. Reserve 1 tablespoon of this sauce and add the remaining sauce to the shredded chicken. Toss to coat evenly, and then distribute the chicken on the bottom of the chilled crust. Top with the celery and the blue cheese.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, reserved 1 tablespoon Buffalo sauce, heavy cream, and milk. Season with salt and pour into the crust.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until slightly puffed and golden brown and no longer jiggles when lightly shaken. A knife inserted into the center should come out clean, although it may look wet.
You'll also love
- Biscuit Breakfast Bake 4.4/5 (40 Votes)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup The Pioneer... 3.8/5 (72 Votes)
- Asiago Chicken Pasta with... 3.9/5 (31 Votes)
- Spanish Quiche with Olives &... 4.1/5 (12 Votes)
- Crustless Pepper Quiche 4.1/5 (18 Votes)
- Chicken Parmesan Zucchini Boats 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- BBQ and Peanut Chicken Tenders 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Fried Chicken Biscuits 4.3/5 (11 Votes)