Steak With Mushroom Sauce and Cauliflower Puree
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup red or white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from realsimple.com
1. Steam the cauliflower in a large pot until very tender, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, add the butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and puree until smooth.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing; reserve the skillet.
3. Add the mushrooms to the drippings in the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes more; season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
4. Serve the steak with the cauliflower puree. Top with the mushroom sauce and sprinkle with the parsley.
Don’t have an open bottle of wine for the mushroom sauce? Use ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar instead.