Delicious breaded, fried Broccili florets
- shortening (for deep frying)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour -- divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups Broccoli Florets, Cleaned and Dried -- (you Can Steam Them First to Have a Tender Texture or Just Use Raw)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. Heat 2 or 3 inches shortening to 365°F in deep fryer or deep saucepan.
2. Combine 1/4 cup flour, and onion powder in large plastic bag.
3. Add broccoli.
4. Shake to coat.
5. Combine buttermilk, baking powder, remaining 1/2 cup flour, and salt in small bowl.
6. Stir until smooth.
7. Dip several broccoli pieces in batter.
8. Drain off excess.
9. Fry a few at a time in Crisco Shortening heated to 365°F.
10. Fry 1 or 2 minutes or until deep golden brown.
11. Turn as needed for even browning.
12. Remove with slotted spoon.
13. Drain on paper towels.
14. Serve while hot!