Brutti Ma Buoni
Translation: Ugly but Good
- Cooking spray for greasing the cookie sheet
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, and extra for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and dust it with flour.
In a bowl, beat the egg whites, until soft peaks form. Gently fold in the hazelnuts, almonds, sugar, cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of flour, vanilla, and amaretto until all the ingredients are evenly distributed (without deflating the egg whites too much).
Spoon heaping tablespoons of batter onto a cookie sheet, leaving approximately 1-inch between each cookie. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until firm to the touch. If you prefer chewier cookies, under bake them slightly. Remove the cookies from the oven, transfer them to a wire rack, and let rest for a 1/2 hour, or until cooled.