Tony Roma's Baked Potato Soup
Nenu Description: "A house specialty full of baked potatoes and topped with cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions."
The thick-and-creamy texture and rich taste of Tony Roma's best-selling soup can be easily cloned with basic ingredients. This version is thickened with a little flour, some half-and-half and, most notably, instant mashed potatoes. Give yourself an hour to bake the potatoes and around 30 minutes to prepare the soup. Garnish each serving with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions and you will have a home kitchen that will surely impress.
- 2 medium potatoes (about 2 cups chopped)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 green onions, chopped (green part only)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake the potatoes 1 hour or until done. When potatoes have cooked remove them from the oven to cool.
2. As potatoes cool prepare soup by melting butter in a large saucepan, and saute onion until light brown. Add the flour to the onions and stir to make a roux.
3. Add stock, water, cornstarch, mashed potatoes, and spices to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the contents with a large spoon. Discard skin. Chop baked potato with a large knife to make chunks that are about 1/2-inch in size.
5. Add chopped baked potato and half-and-half to the saucepan, bring soup back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer the soup for another 15 minutes or until it is thick.
6. Spoon about 1-1/2 cups of soup into a bowl and top with about a tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese, a half tablespooon of crumbled bacon and a teaspoon or so of chopped green onion. Repeat for remaining servings.