Eggplant Rolls with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 7 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pound plum tomatoes; chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1-1/4 pound eggplant
- 12-1/2 ounce ricotta cheese - 1-1/2 cups
- 1-1/2 ounce parmigiano-reggiano - 1/2 cup; finely grated
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil; chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Cook garlic and red pepper flakes in 1 tablespoon oil in 2 quart heavy
saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 30
seconds. Add tomatoes, sugar and 1/2 te salt and simmer, uncovered,
stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
Grill eggplant whille sauce cooks:
Heat grill pan over high heat until hot. Peel 2 inch wide strips of skin
from opposite sides of eggplant and discard. Holding a knife parallel to a
peeled side, cut eggplant lengthwise into 8 (1/2 inch thick) slices.
Brush both sides of slices with 3 tablespoons oil, then season with salt
Grill slices in batches, turning over once and brushing grilled sides with
some of remaining oil until golden brown and tender, about 4 minutes.
Transfer to tray.
Assemble eggplant rolls:
Stir together cheeses, 2 tablespoons basil, pepper, and remaining salt.
Divide cheese mixture among slices (3 to 4 tablespoons per slice) leaving
an 1/8 inch border along edge. Roll up each slice, beginning with a short
end, and serve rolls topped with sauce and sprinkled with remaining basil.
You'll also love
- Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Salmon with New Orleans Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- LITTLE LEMON DROPS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ham and Green Bean Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Potato Soup V 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Biggest Loser Fire Roasted Tomato... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- leftover tomato soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Farfalle with roasted eggplant and... 0/5 (0 Votes)