Winter Salad with Roasted Beets and Citrus dressing
Great salad with fresh roasted beets
- 4 medium beets (red and golden)
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 4 oranges)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups torn Boston lettuce
- 2 cups trimmed watercress
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
Cooking time 1mins
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat beets with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until tender. Cool beets slightly. Trim off beet roots and stems; rub off skins. Cut beets into 1/2-inch-thick wedges.
3. Bring juice and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan; cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Pour into a medium bowl; cool slightly. Add shallots, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
4. Combine lettuce, watercress, and radicchio. Sprinkle lettuce mixture with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss gently to combine. Arrange about 1 cup lettuce mixture on each of 8 salad plates. Divide beets evenly among salads. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon dressing over each salad; sprinkle each salad with 1 tablespoon cheese.