- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (3.5 oz) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- (can use fresh or regular canned green chilies)
- 3 tbsp chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 (15 oz) cans beans (kidney, pinto, black, cannelini), rinsed and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (10oz) pkg frozen corn
- 1 1/2 oz semisweet chocolate (or 2 tbsp cocoa)
- beer, as needed
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- brown rice, cooked
- sliced black olives, shredded cheese, and sour cream as condiments
Heat oil in heavy pot over medium heat and saute onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until golden, about 1 minute more.
Add tomatoes with juice, chilies, chili powder, cumin, oregano and bay leaf. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring often. Add beans, green pepper, corn and chocolate. Bring to a simmer and cook until chili thickens, 40-45 minutes. If chili seems too dry, add a little beer. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
Remove bay leaf and serve over brown rice and top with condiments.