Sephardic Spiced Salad - Eggplant - chickpea salad
- For salad:
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 can (16 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed or 3 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tbsp black olives, chopped
- Minced mint for garnish
- For dressing:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- tbsp white vinegar
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and let sit for 30 minutes to remove bitterness. Rinse and dry.
Pre-heat grill or grill pan over medium heat.
Drizzle eggplant slices in extra virgin olive oil and grill until tender and browned, about 4-5 minutes per side. Let cool and cut into ½ inch cubes.
In a bowl, combine the diced Roma tomatoes, chickpeas, black olives and diced eggplant and set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients for the dressing except for the extra virgin olive oil and salt. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking to create and emulsion. Season with salt to taste taking into account the eggplant is already salted.
Toss salad in dressing and garnish with minced mint. Serve with pita chips!
You'll also love
- Lazy Stuffed Cabbage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tequilla Lime Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Killer Marinated Tomatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cabbage and Cannellini Bean Saute' 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Stuffed Eggplant 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Refried Black Beans 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Eggplant in Vinaigrette 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Eat Your Greens Chickpea Medley 0/5 (0 Votes)