Cucumber and Avocado Inside-out Nori Rolls From Stealth Health Lunches Kids Love
This darling bug of a roll wears a sly coat of avocado. It's from Tracy Griffith's new book, Stealth Health Lunches Kids Love: Irresistible and Nutritious Gluten-Free Sandwiches, Wraps and Other Easy Eats. (Reprinted with permission of Page Street Press) You can see more about the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Health-Lunches-Kids-Love/dp/1624140246
- 1/2 medium carrot, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 avocado, pitted and split lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups/315 g Easy and Perfect Sushi Rice (see recipe at http://luncheskidslove.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/chicken-run-wrap-sweet-and-sour-chicken-in-origami-wraps/)
- 2 half-sheets nori
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into 4” x 1/4”/10 x 0.6 cm sticks
- 2 teaspoons/9.5 g sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- 1/2 cup/120 ml Orange Tamari Sauce
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from luncheskidslove.wordpress.com
Chop the skinny end of the carrot into 10 to 12 small, thin discs. These are the eyes and spots of your bug. Now cut carrot in half lengthwise.
Lay flat side down and trim off 4 long, slender strips that get thinner at one end. These will be the antennae. Set aside.
Scoop out the avocado flesh with a tablespoon, keeping it in one whole piece. Set it hole-side down and cut crosswise into very thin slices. (Avocado is easiest to slice by putting your knife tip 2”/5 cm above the avocado half and pulling the knife through the flesh.)
Cover your sushi rolling mat with plastic wrap. Place one nori sheet on the rolling mat. Wet hands and spread about 1/2 cup/105 g of Easy and Perfect Sushi Rice evenly over entire nori. Flip the nori sheet over and arrange on mat, allowing a 1/2”/1.3 cm border between bottom edge of mat and long bottom edge of nori. Place two double sticks of cucumber in a line across the middle of the nori. Roll forward using mat, let roll rest on its seam for at least 1 minute to seal. Repeat for remaining roll.
Now, slide a long knife under one sliced avocado half and place it on top of the sushi roll and fan it out (like dominoes) to fit end to end. Take a sheet of plastic wrap and cover the roll. Place the sushi mat over the roll and give it a gentle squeeze to adhere the avocado to the rice.
Remove mat and, leaving plastic wrap in place, cut through plastic into 8 even pieces. Use a very sharp knife for this or it will squish the bug. Gently pull off the plastic wrap. Now the little chefs can come decorate.
Place carrot eyes and line spots down the back. Stick in two antennae near the head. Sprinkle on sesame seeds if desired. Repeat with remaining roll.
Serve with Orange Tamari Sauce for dipping and Crunchy Pebbles
You'll also love
- Delicious Sweet Summer Pasta Salad 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Spicy Pasta With Tilapia 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- HCG Diet Cucumber Orange Salad 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Michael Symon’s Roasted Chicken... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- cookies - Olive Oil Oatmeal Cookies 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Avocado Strawberry Spinach Salad... 4.4/5 (22 Votes)