Cream of Broccoli Soup
Points Plus Value: 4 Points
- 1 medium onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 pound(s) broccoli, tough ends removed, stems and florets chopped
- 4 small white potatoes, cubed
- 4 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 cup(s) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
1. Combine onion and garlic in a 2-quart saucepan with 1/4 cup of water. Simmer until onion is soft, about 10 minutes; spoon vegetables into a large pot.
2. Add broccoli, potatoes, and broth to pot; bring to a boil over high heat. Once soup boils, reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is soft but still green, about 8 minutes. Do not cover pot while broccoli is cooking or it will turn gray.
3. Remove soup from heat; puree until smooth in batches in a blender (be careful not to splatter hot liquid) or puree in pot using an immersion blender. Add evaporated milk and hot pepper sauce to soup; season to taste with salt and pepper. Yields about 1 3/4 cups per serving.