Arroz Marinero (Rice with Seafood)
- RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- 3 3 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 1 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 4 4 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 2 2 bay leaves
- 1 1 pinch 1 large pinch saffron threads
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 cup La Ina or other fino sherry
- 1 1 1 medium tomato, cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 1 1/2 1 pounds cleaned squid, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 cup Uncle Ben's converted rice, medium grain if possible, or a good quality Italian converted rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 2 2 pounds grouper filet, cut into medium chunks
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 1 1 pimiento morrone (canned Spanish roasted pepper), chopped
Adapted from cooking.com
Heat oil in a shallow heavy pot or cazuela over medium heat. Add onions, green peppers, garlic, paprika, bay leaves, and saffron and cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
Add sherry and tomatoes to vegetables and simmer briefly, stirring until well mixed. Add squid, rice, and 4 cups cold water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Increase heat to medium, add grouper, shrimp, peas, and pimientos morrones, distributing them evenly in the pot and gently pushing them under the broth. Simmer, stirring several times, until seafood is cooked through and stew is thick and brothy, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper.