Sweet-Potato Gnocchi with Mushrooms and Spinach
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 3 pounds orange-flesh sweet potatoes (often labeled
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 About 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms such as chanterelle, cremini, king trumpet, matsutake, and oyster*
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
1. Make gnocchi: Drain ricotta in a strainer over sink, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
2. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups sweet- potato purée (save extra for another use), strained ricotta, sugar, cheese, salt, and nutmeg. Gently stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms.
3. Working on a floured surface, divide dough into 8 portions. Roll each portion with your hands into a 15-in. rope, then cut into 1-in. pieces, sprinkling dough with flour if it gets sticky. Transfer gnocchi to a rimmed tray lightly dusted with flour.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Working in batches of 15 to 20, drop gnocchi into water, stirring to prevent sticking, and cook until gnocchi are firm and float to top of water, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to a strainer and then to a lightly oiled rimmed pan to cool.
5. Assemble gnocchi: Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add gnocchi to pan and cook, stirring often, until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a large serving dish.
6. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbsp. oil in a second large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and shallots until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth, butter, spinach, salt, and pepper; cover and cook until spinach wilts, about 3 minutes.
7. Spoon vegetables over gnocchi and pour in broth. Sprinkle with thyme and half of parmesan. Serve with remaining cheese.
*Leave whole any soft mushrooms such as oysters and slice or quarter large, dense mushrooms like the cremini and king trumpets.
Make ahead: Prepare through step 3. Cover and chill up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 weeks.
You'll also love
- Three Berry Cobbler 0/5 (0 Votes)
- LITTLE LEMON DROPS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Southwest Roasted Salmon and Corn 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta with Sausage and Peppers 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Eggplant Rollatinni 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cheesy Baked Pasta with Spinach... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tortellini with Tex Mex Creme Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Baby Potatoes with... 0/5 (0 Votes)