Chocolate Velvet Icing (Shawana Tite Gwaltney)W
- For Full-Sized Cake:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped in small pieces
- 2 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla flavouring
- For Petite Cake:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped in small pieces
- 1 tbsp. plus 3/4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla flavouring
1. In microwave-safe bowl, combine milk, chocolate and cornstarch. Stir well. Microwave this mixture on high for 2-4 minutes, until quite thick. Stop and stir well every minute or so.
2. The milk, chocolate and cornstarch may also be cooked in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly if using this method.
3. Cover milk mixture with plastic wrap touching its surface. This will prevent "skin" from forming. Cool to room temperature.
4. In medium bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla flavouring until light and fluffy.
5. Add milk mixture and beat until frosting looks like whipped cream. This will take several minutes.
Note: icing is not too strong to complement a yellow cake.