Oven Barbecued Ribs (Robert Pollard)
- 1/4 cup Crisco® pure vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 pounds pork spareribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat the oven to 350°F. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ribs cook until they're well browned on both sides. Remove the ribs from the skillet. Cover and keep warm. Pour off any fat, reserving 2 tablespoons in the skillet. Place the ribs in a 13 x 9-inch shallow baking dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
Heat the reserved fat in the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook until they're tender, stirring occasionally. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove the ribs from the oven and carefully pour off any fat. Pour the ketchup mixture evenly over the ribs. Cover the dish and bake for 30 to 60 minutes or until the ribs are tender.