Super Rescue Soup
Jill Murphy made this soup during the Superstorm Sandy, thus the "rescue" name.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and finely chopped
- 2 medium stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2 in. pieces
- 3/4 c. green beans, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 in. cubes
- 1/2 c. tomato sauce or one medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 pearl barley
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 t. salt or to taste
In a large saucepan over moderate heat, warm the olive oil.
Add the onion, carrots and celery, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the zucchini and green beans, and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
Add the potato, and saute, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
Add 6 cups of water, tomato sauce and barley.
Bring the soup to a boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the cannellini beans and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
Season with salt. Puree soup with an immersion blender, if desired.