Chicken Livers, Southern Fried
Mom made them because they are cheap, and now the convenience stores sell them in the South! You must have a fry screen -- these darn things pop and will burn you! Serve with pepper gravy or a packet of chicken gravy.
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
Place the chicken livers in a colander, and rinse with water. Drain the livers well. Whisk together the egg and milk in a shallow bowl until well blended. Place the flour, garlic powder, and salt and pepper in a resealable plastic zipper bag, and shake to combine.
Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Place the chicken livers in the bowl of egg and milk mixture, and coat each liver. Place the livers, one at a time, into the plastic bag of flour mixture, and shake the bag to coat the each liver completely.
Gently place the coated livers, a few at a time, into the hot oil. Cover the pan of oil with a frying screen to avoid getting burned by spatters of oil that will pop out as the livers fry.
Deep fry the livers until crisp and golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
You'll also love
- New Mexico Pork Chili Carne Adovada 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Wiener Schnitzel in an Air Fryer 3.8/5 (47 Votes)
- Chicken Pad Thai Zoodle Bowls 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Lawry's® Beer Can Chicken 3.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Dirty Diapers 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Chicken Liver Mousse Crostini with... 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Tender Chicken Gizzards 3.9/5 (54 Votes)
- Mom's Fried Chicken Gizzards 4.5/5 (2 Votes)