From JCC cooking class
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 slices of bread
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1-2 tablespoons honey, to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- red wine vinegar or lemon juice to taste
Sweat onion in olive oil. Add garlic and cook another minute.
Stir in tomatoes and juice from the can. Add broth, bread, and bay leaf and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and turn off the heat. Blend with an immersion blender. Add extra sweet/acidic ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.