Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup
- 1 loaf cinnamon swirl bread (13 to 16 ounces)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Maple syrup
- CINNAMON TOPPING
- 2 sticks butter, softened and cubed
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients.
1. Slice bread into 1-inch cubes. Arrange cubes in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly.
3. Pour mixture over the bread cubes, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
4. The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Spread cinnamon topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.