Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cabbage Saute
- 2 teaspoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (for 1 cup thin slices)
- 4 links (12 ounces) smoked chicken sausage
- 2 Granny Smith apples (about 1 1/2 pounds, for about 2 1/2 cups pieces)
- 1 1/2 pound(s) green cabbage (for 8 cups thinly sliced, loosely packed)
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) honey
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) red-wine vinegar, or more to taste
1. In a 12-inch skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat. Peel the onion and slice it into 1/8-inch-thick slices, adding to the skillet as you slice. Stir, and cook while slicing each sausage link into 1/2-inch pieces. Set the slices aside.
2. Core but do not peel the apples. Chop the apples into bite-size pieces. Add all of the apples and sausage slices to the skillet. Stir well. Continue to cook over medium heat. Meanwhile, slice the cabbage into no larger than 1/4-inch-wide pieces, and add it to the skillet. Add the water, butter and honey, and stir to mix well. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover the skillet, and steam for 5 to 6 minutes. Uncover, stir, and toss well. Re-cover, and steam until the cabbage is crisp tender, about 5 to 6 minutes more.
3. Uncover the skillet, and sprinkle the pepper and vinegar over the cabbage mixture. Toss to mix. Taste, and add more vinegar, if desired.
You'll also love
- Nesco Glazed Cornish Hens 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Cold Tuna Macaroni Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Lord of the Onion Rings (HG) 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Kale Soup with beef 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Thin Pear Tart 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Lynn's Sausage Stuffed Peppers 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Salad with Pears and Walnuts 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Lebanese Cabbage Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)