Servings: 0 servings
- Swedish Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion, grated or chopped fine
- 1/2 cup Calorie Countdown milk or half water/half cream
- 4 slices low carb bread (I like Sara Lee 45 calorie wheat bread)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter for sauteeing onion
- 1 stick butter for frying meatballs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Carbalose flour
- 2 cans warm beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Saute the onion in the butter till soft/translucent, remove from pan.
- Remove crusts from bread, tear into pieces and add to milk. Set aside. If you don't want to mess with the crust removal, dump into food processor and pulse with the milk, let stand till milk absorbs.
- Mix milk and bread, onions, meat, eggs and seasonings till thoroughly combined. Heat the stick of butter, form meatballs and fry in batches till browned. Remove finished meatballs to warm oven.
- When meatballs are done, add your flour to the butter and cook to make a roux. Slowly add the beef broth while whisking to keep smooth. Add the sour cream, heat till hot and pour over the meatballs.
- Serve over pasta, veggies or whatever you like.