- 1/2 cup (125 mL) bottled strained tomatoes, (passata)
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pressed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 eggplant, cut crosswise in 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices
- 1 cup (250 mL) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tub (200 g) bocconcini cheese, (about 8 pieces), drained and cut in 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Pizza Dough:3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour, (approx)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) quick-rising instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) hot water, (120°F/50°C)1 tbsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
Adapted from canadianliving.com
Pizza Dough: In bowl, combine 2-3/4 cups of the flour, yeast and salt. With wooden spoon, gradually stir in water and oil, using hands if necessary, until ragged dough forms.
Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead for about 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding remaining flour, 1 tbsp at a time, if necessary.
Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, combine strained tomatoes, garlic, oregano and pinch each of the salt and pepper; set aside.
In large bowl, combine 2 tbsp of the oil, vinegar and remaining salt and pepper. Add eggplant and toss to coat. Reserving any vinegar mixture, place eggplant on greased grill over medium heat; close lid and grill, turning and brushing occasionally with vinegar mixture, until browned and tender, about 8 minutes.
On lightly floured surface, stretch dough to about 16- x 12-inch (40 x 30 cm) rectangle, using rolling pin if necessary. Brush with remaining oil. PLACE, oiled side down, on grill; cook, uncovered, until bubbles form on top and bottom is grill marked, 3 to 6 minutes.
With tongs, TURN; close lid and grill just until no longer doughy underneath, about 1 minute. Transfer to baking sheet. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Spread strained tomato mixture over grill-marked side of crust. TOP with eggplant, cherry tomatoes and bocconcini cheese. Transfer to grill; grill, covered, until cheese is melted and bubbly and underside is browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Carefully transfer to large cutting board or inverted baking sheet. Top with basil.
Additional information : Change It Up
Omit eggplant mixture and cherry tomatoes. Substitute 150 g round mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced, for the bocconcini.