Blueberry Lemon Scones
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, chilled and diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice from 1/2 a lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients (through butter). In a small bowl, or 2-cup liquid measuring cup, whisk together the cream, eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and lemon zest. Cover both dishes with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Remove both bowls from the refrigerator. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the size of large peas. Stir in the wet ingredients, and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Gently roll out the dough into a rectangle, taking care not to burst the blueberries. Fold the dough over itself and repeat 4-5 times. Depending on the shape you want your scones, roll out your dough into an 1-inch thick disk or rectangle. Cut the dough into wedges (if shaped into a disk), or squares (if shaped into a rectangle), or cut out with a biscuit cutter. Transfer scones to a baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Remove scones from refrigerator when ready to bake and directly place them in the oven. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown and do not fall apart when nudged. Immediately transfer from pan to cooling racks.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and lemon juice. Stir until the mixture is smooth and runny. If too thick add more milk; if too thin add more powdered sugar.
While scones are still warm, drizzle a tablespoon of glaze over each. Allow scones to stand for a few minutes until the glaze forms a crust, then enjoy.
Makes: 16 scones
You'll also love
- ground beef casserole 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Orange Pepper Steak 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- How to Cook Pinto Beans in a... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Zesty Lime Fish Tacos 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Strawberry Oatmeal Banana Smoothie 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Maple Brown Sugar Cranberry Sauce 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Pasta with Lemon Cream Sauce,... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)