German Meatballs with Spaetzle
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs .1 tablespoon snipped parsley 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning 1 pound ground beef
- 1 101/2-ounce can condensed beef broth
- 1 4-ounce can chopped mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon caraway seed Spaetzle
Combine egg and milk; stir in crumbs, parsley, poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and dash pepper. Add meat;
mix well. Shape in twenty-four 11/2-inch meatballs. In skillet,
brown meatballs; drain fat. Add broth, mushrooms, and onion. Cover; simmer 30 minutes.
Blend sour cream, flour, and caraway seed, stir into meatballs and sauce in skillet. Cook and stir till thickened. Serve with Spaetzle. Sprinkle with snipped parsley, if desired. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Spaetzle: Mix 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Add 2 beaten eggs and 1 cup milk; beat well. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Place batter in coarse-sieved colander (like basket for deep-fat fryer). Hold over large kettle of rapidly. boiling salted water. Press batter through colander with rubber spatula. Cook and stir 5 minutes; drain.