Cheese and Broccoli Chicken Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1/2 c (115g) butter
- 1/2 c (125g) flour
- 11 c (2.6 L) water
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 lbs. (175g) chicken breast, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tsp. (5ml.) salt
- 1 tsp. (5ml.) black pepper
- 1 c. (250ml.) light cream
- 3 c. (340g) shredded cheddar cheese
In a 5 quart pot melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, stirring constantly until a thick paste forms. Remove from pot and set aside.
In same pot, combine water, bouillon cubes, chicken, broccoli, salt and pepper. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Stir in flour a little at a time until soup thickens. Simmer 5 minutes.
Reduce heat. Stir in cream. Mix well. Add cheese 1 cup at a time.