Sweet & Sour Pineapple Pork
Made with fresh pineapple, this sweet and sour pork stir-fry is a classic take-out favourite that's easy to make at home.
- Pineapple Pork
- 1 small pork tenderloin, cut into large cubes (about 3/4 pound to 1 pound)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- Peanut oil or vegetable oil, for shallow frying pork
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato purée
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. peanut oil, for stir-frying
- 1 small onion, cubed
- 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 green pepper, cubed
- 1 1/2 About 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple cubes
- 1 to 2 tbsp. sesame seeds, for garnish
- 3 green onions, chopped for garnish
- Steamed rice, for serving
Adapted from cbc.ca
Make the coating for the pork: Add egg, pineapple juice, salt and flour to a bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
Pour enough oil into a deep saucepan to come about 1 1/2-inches up the sides of the pan. Alternatively, use a wok. Heat oil to 350 degrees F. over medium heat.
Toss pork in coating. Add pork to hot oil, cooking in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, if needed. Fry pork, turning once, cooking until coating is golden and meat is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
Add pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, tomato purée, molasses and cornstarch to a bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
Add 1 tbsp. peanut oil to a wok or large skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add onions, peppers and pineapple cubes. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add sweet and sour sauce. Bring to a boil and cook until starts to thicken, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add pork and stir-fry until meat is heated through. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
Serve over steamed rice.
You'll also love
- Pork Egg Foo Yung 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Maryland Crab Cakes with Quick... 4.2/5 (14 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato and Rice Soup 4/5 (22 Votes)
- Stuffed Cabbage (Mom's) 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Kiwi banana bread 4.2/5 (18 Votes)
- Grandma's Ricotta Raisin Pie 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Tequila & Lime Turkey Chili 4.2/5 (18 Votes)
- Balsamic Honey and Mustard Pork... 4.2/5 (16 Votes)