- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (not coarse)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 9-inch baking dish with butter.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together very well the eggs, milk, butter, applesauce, and maple syrup.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to incorporate (do not over mix). Pour into the prepared dish and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.