Grilled Eggplant & Portobello Sandwich
Looking for a vegetarian option for your next cookout? This grilled eggplant and portobello sandwich is our answer. For extra flavor, we top it with slices of garden-fresh tomato and spicy arugula. Serve with a mixed green salad.
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 large or 3 medium portobello mushroom caps, gills removed (see Tip)
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, lightly grilled or toasted
- 2 cups arugula, or spinach, stemmed and chopped if large
- 1 large tomato, sliced
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from eatingwell.com
1.Preheat grill to medium-high.
2.Mash garlic into a paste on a cutting board with the back of a spoon. Combine with mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
3.Coat both sides of eggplant rounds and mushroom caps with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables, turning once, until tender and browned on both sides: 2 to 3 minutes per side for eggplant, 3 to 4 minutes for mushrooms. When cool enough to handle, slice the mushrooms.
4.Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of the garlic mayonnaise on each piece of bread. Layer the eggplant, mushrooms, arugula (or spinach) and tomato slices onto 4 slices of bread and top with the remaining bread